Industrial & Systems Engineering
- (206) 543-5388
- MEB 222
- Faculty Website
- Faculty research video
- Scale-independent Multimodal Automated Real Time Systems (SMARTS) Lab
Ashis Banerjee joined the department as an assistant professor in the fall of 2015. Prior to this appointment, he was a research scientist in the
Complex Systems Engineering Laboratory at General Electric Global
Research, and a postdoctoral associate in the Computer Science and
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at Massachusetts Institute of
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland
- B.Tech. in Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
Dr. Banerjee's research is on developing automated decision-making methods for cyber-physical systems to achieve optimal and robust performances. Such systems include multiple, heterogeneous entities (humans, robots, smart devices, passive components, etc.) and occur at widely varying spatial and temporal scales from controlled micro-bio environments to large manufacturing and healthcare enterprises. The methods have to be novel to address unsolved challenges, theoretically sound to provide performance guarantees, and both computationally efficient and easily realizable to be practically useful. These requirements lead us to adopt a cyclic approach involving the tight coupling of mathematical and physical modeling of system dynamics, model-based stochastic planning and control, and system behavior data-driven knowledge leading to continuous model refinement.
Dr. Banerjee's work has been recognized with several awards and honors, including the 2012 Most Cited Paper Award from the Computer-Aided Design Journal, the 2009 Best Dissertation Award from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maryland, and the 2009 George Harhalakis Outstanding Systems Engineering Graduate Student Award from the Institute for Systems Research at the University of Maryland.
- V. Tereshchuk, J. Stewart, N. Bykov, S. Pedigo, S. Devasia, and A. G. Banerjee. An Efficient Scheduling Algorithm for Multi-Robot Task Allocation in Assembling Aircraft Structures. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 4(4): 3844-3851, 2019.
- B. Parsa, E. U. Samani, R. Hendrix, C. Devine, S. M. Singh, S. Devasia, and A. G. Banerjee. Toward Ergonomic Risk Prediction via Segmentation of Indoor Object Manipulation Actions Using Spatiotemporal Convolutional Networks. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 4(4): 3153-3160, 2019.
- N. Rahimi, J. Liu, A. Shishkarev, I. Buzytsky, and A. G. Banerjee. Auction Bidding Methods for Multiagent Consensus Optimization in Supply-Demand Networks. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 3(4): 4415-4422, 2018.
- J. Liu, L. N. Boyle, and A. G. Banerjee. Predicting Interstate Motor Carrier Crash Rate Level using Classification Models. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 120: 211-218, 2018.
- A. G. Banerjee, K. Rajasekaran, and B. Parsa. A Step Toward Learning to Control Tens of Optically Actuated Microrobots in Three Dimensions. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering, Munich, Germany, 1460-1465, 2018.
- J. Liu, S. Hwang, W. Yund, L. N. Boyle, and A. G. Banerjee. Predicting Purchase Orders Delivery Times using Regression Models with Dimension Reduction. In Proceedings of ASME Computers & Information in Engineering Conference, Quebec City, QC, Canada, V01BT02A034, 2018.
- W. Guo, K. Manohar, S. L. Brunton, and A. G. Banerjee. Sparse-TDA: Sparse Realization of Topological Data Analysis for Multi-Way Classification. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 30(7): 1403-1408, 2018.
- 8. K. Rajasekaran, E. Samani, M. Bollavaram, J. Stewart, and A. G. Banerjee. An Accurate Perception Method for Low Contrast Bright Field Microscopy in Heterogeneous Microenvironments. Applied Sciences, 7(12): 1327, 2017.
- W. Guo and A. G. Banerjee . Identification of Key Features Using Topological Data Analysis for Accurate Prediction of Manufacturing System Outputs. Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 43(2): 225-234, 2017.
- A. G. Banerjee , S. Chowdhury, and S. K. Gupta. Optical Tweezers: Autonomous Robots for the Manipulation of Biological Cells. IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, 21(3): 81-88, 2014.
- J. C. Ryan, A. G. Banerjee , M. L. Cummings, and N. Roy. Comparing the Performance of Expert User Heuristics and an Integer Linear Program in Aircraft Carrier Deck Operations. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 44(6): 761-773, 2014.
- A. G. Banerjee , S. Chowdhury, W. Losert, and S. K. Gupta. Real-Time Path Planning for Coordinated Transport of Multiple Particles using Optical Tweezers. IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 9(4): 669-678, 2012.
Honors & awards
- Best Dissertation Award, University of Maryland Department of Mechanical Engineering, 2009
- George Harhalakis Outstanding Systems Engineering Graduate Student Award, University of Maryland Institute for Systems Research, 2009
- Most Cited Paper Award, Computer-Aided Design Journal, 2012
Assessing ergonomic risk
Ashis Banerjee and a team of researchers used machine learning to develop a new system that can monitor factory and...