Everyone has a home in Industrial & Systems Engineering.
The faculty and staff of the Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering are dedicated to fostering an inclusive learning environment, where diverse perspectives are celebrated and recognized as a contributing factor in creating a thoughtful, well-rounded, and first-rate educational experience.
Our faculty is comprised of over 50% women, over 50% from outside the United States, and all bring unique experiences and insights to their classrooms. Our students are encouraged to participate, and have held leadership positions, in various student groups, including the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, National Society of Black Engineers, Women in Science and Engineering, the Society of Women Engineers, and the Minority Scholars Engineering Program.
D.E.I. at our core
As industrial and systems engineers, our objective is to design complex systems that are accessible and usable by all people. Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) are core to this mission. Our graduates must possess a deep understanding of, and appreciation for, diverse needs and ideas.
We welcome students from all backgrounds, from all races, ethnicities, national origins, gender identities, religions, sexual orientations, abilities/disabilities, ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, military statuses, and other identities not listed. We stand firmly against, and do not tolerate, racism in any form.
Campus Resources and Support
- SafeCampus is the University of Washington's violence-prevention and response program. Call SafeCampus -no matter where you work or study- to anonymously discuss safety and well-being concerns for yourself or others:
Mental Health and Wellness Support
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Opportunities
Undocumented Student Resources
- The UW and the State of Washington welcome and support undocumented students of all ethnicities and nationalities. Services and resources available to undocumented students include:
- Diversity Initiatives at UW
- Diversity-Inclusive Student Groups and Activities
- Diversity and Access Initiatives in College of Engineering