Ph.D. tuition & funding


Tuition rates are set by the Office of Planning & Budgeting. Visit the Planning & Budgeting page on Tuition & fee questions for contact information for different types of tuition questions.

Tuition rates change annually and vary based on Washington state residency status and the number of credits for which you are registered. The Ph.D in Industrial Engineering is a Tier III graduate program. Full-time students (those registered for between 7 and 18 credits) pay uniform tuition rates based on residency.

Graduate Tier III tuition rates

  • Washington state resident quarterly tuition and fees for full-time students: $6,284 
  • Nonresident quarterly tuition and fees for full-time students: $10,920

Visit the Planning & Budgeting Tuition and Fees page to check tuition for a particular number of credits. Select tuition and fees for the Seattle Campus and search for program type.

Assistantships and fellowships

Limited financial assistance is available for full-time, regular-status students through teaching assistantships (TA), research assistantships (RA), and fellowships. Financial assistance is offered on a highly competitive basis to those applicants with the very best records.

ISE automatically considers all applicants for funding whose application materials are received by the January 2 deadline.

Financial offers for autumn quarter applicants are made in April. Typically, 90% of the financial aid available for new students is offered and accepted by late May. Students who wish to enter in the winter, spring, or summer quarters should note that the availability of aid for new students for these quarters is limited.

Students are encouraged to seek outside sources of support, including fellowships from the National Science Foundation, other federal agencies and laboratories, private foundations, and foreign governments.

More resources

Financial aid

The Office of Student Financial Aid helps students navigate the types of aid available for attending the University of Washington, including scholarships, grants, and loans. Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at or 206-543-6101.

The Office of Student Financial Aid explains how to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), which is the first step in qualifying for financial aid.