Ph.D. application procedure
Thank you for your interest in applying to the Industrial & Systems Engineering graduate program. ISE's day program is intended for full-time, on-campus students. If you are a working professional or interested in attending graduate school part-time, you must apply to ISE's Master of Engineering Program.
- January 2
The application process is entirely electronic, unless and until you are offered admission. If you are offered admission you will be required to submit hard copies of official transcripts, but while applying it is only necessary to upload electronic copies (PDF files preferred) of the transcript(s). We accept applications for autumn quarter only.
The following items must be submitted to the Graduate School:
- Online Graduate School Application and payment of application fee.
- Transcripts from each college and university attended must be uploaded to the Online Graduate School Application.
- Three letters of recommendation submitted electronically via request through the on-line application.
- GRE scores submitted electronically to the UW (Institution Code 4854).
- If you are admitted, you will be required to submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- International students & non-native English speakers only: Submit scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or an equivalent exam approved by the Graduate School. Proof of English language proficiency is required even if you hold a master's degree from a university in the U.S. or other English-speaking country. For more information, contact the University’s Office of Educational Assessment or the Educational Testing Service.
- International students only: If offered admission, submit Financial Ability documentation.